Wednesday, December 23, 2009

"Dear Noah"... my story

I have not named my book yet so for now, I refer to it as "Dear Noah." I'm not sure if other writers do this and I've never heard of it in any English class but I have a technique for when I am stuck on what to write. I write letters to my main character, Noah. I write whatever comes to mind and ask whatever questions I may need to ask. Somehow, it helps get past that writer's block and opens up new chapters for me. Example: Dear Noah, what do you do for a living? You could have a white collar, desk job. No, too boring for you. You like to get your hands dirty. Plus you are to ansty to have finished college. But you could have become a mechanic after running away from your mother's house etc..

I simply write to Noah as if he were some person out there waiting pen-in-hand to respond; which he does.

Noah is really a charming character. He can win over your heart in a second. However, he is deeply torn by the troubling events of his childhood. Therefore, as soon as anyone gets somewhat close to him, he pushes them away. After witnessing his best friend being killed as a child, he becomes apprehensive toward all kinds of love and struggles to find solace throughout the rest of his life.

Paragraph 1:
As he stood in the darkened pasture, a train began to vibrate his feet and create–out of nothingness–a stentorian voice. The train sped by with a velocity and force that stopped for nothing in its way. To him, every train was identical; each conductor was cold-hearted with a willingness for murder. They just continued on their paths of delivering coal and homeless men without regard for the people in the towns through which they passed. Now and then they made eye contact with their victims the instant before pinning them to the tracks, crushing every bone of life in their small helpless bodies. They knew the unlikelihood of stopping in time so why bother trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment