Saturday, December 19, 2009

In The Woods by Tana French


I just finished reading this novel last week. It's a mystery with two different cases intertwined. The main character is found in the woods by his house at 12 years old. His two friends have disappeared leaving nothing but pools of blood in his sneakers. He remembers nothing about what happened.
Years later, he's working as a detective on a murder case in the same woods. Pieces of his childhood start to come back to him. He solves the recent murder case. However, the one from his childhood is never resolved. The author allows him closure as at the end of the book, he forgets all of the memories again except for one pleasant one. However, the reader never gets closure, never knows what happened in those woods twenty years ago.

How do we feel about that? I personally like books to answer all of my questions. I feel like it can't simply end and leave me hanging. Any thoughts? Has anyone else read this or have something different to point out?

2 comments:

  1. Was the author trying to allude to an ending or just allowing the reader's imagination to fill in the blanks? Either way, what a tease!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It never really leaned toward any one solution. At one point, she even brought up that according to legend, there was some kind of monster living in those woods. At which point, I thought to myself, "I hope this isn't turning sci-fi" but it didn't.
    She also gave the main character closure even though he never knew.

    ReplyDelete